I never thought it would happen to me...

2.02.2012

I've Lost It!

I've lost my looks -- if I ever had any. I've lost control -- of my kids, of what gravity is doing to my anatomical house, of my bladder (when I sneeze or laugh too much). I've lost loved ones way, way, way too early. I've lost control of getting my husband anywhere on time (Well, I never did have control over that, I've finally realized.) All of these things I would love to discuss with you further some day. But today I want to talk about...about...shoot, what was it?...oh, yeah...about the loss of my mind!

I often worry if I should worry about my memory, or the lack thereof. My mind is not as equipped as it once was at managing life. And I mean just the day-to-day stuff. I now become overwhelmed at the slightest change of plans, where once I was the queen of multi-tasking. Long to-do lists are one of my new BFF's, where once upon a time a mental list would more than suffice.

I'm tired of going to the grocery store, standing at the dairy counter, dazed and confused, thinking, now what is it I wanted to get here? Or, calling my Mom to tell her "just one thing", and upon her answering the phone, immediately forgetting why I called. Or, the very worst: telling a story to a friend, being sidetracked for the merest of moments, and taking five minutes for both of us to remember, rehabilitate and pick up where I left off.  So darn frustrating.

How was it that I ever made it through what once was a typical day of: working out, fixing two brown-bag lunches, getting my kids to and from school and practice, going to work, taking a deposition, getting out a 63-page expedited transcript, walking our Mia dog, preparing (or microwaving/re-heating, in my case) dinner for four -- all the while planning a get-together at our house for three couples this coming Saturday night?!!!!

Huh? Answer me. I'm serious! How.did.I.ever.do.it???

I think this is probably God's clever way of saying sloooooow down, reflect, reminisce, relax, enjoy and...shoot!!! I forgot the other word (verb) I was going to use.

2 comments:

  1. Very well put! One of my favorite sayings is... "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most".

    ReplyDelete